Nail Technician Job Description
- Nail Technician Duties and Responsibilities
To accomplish their primary goal of providing nail care treatments, Nail Technicians perform many tasks. We analyzed several job listings to identify these core Nail Technician duties and responsibilities.
Provide Manicures and Pedicures
- Nail Technicians provide individualized nail services and treatments to clients, including manicures and pedicures. They remove previously applied nail polish, shape and smooth the ends of nails, clean the nails, soften, push back and trim nail cuticles, and apply polish onto nails. They may also apply artificial nails or paint designs onto nails.
- Maintain Sanitary Workstation
- Nail Technicians are responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary work environment. They must uphold strict standards of sanitation and sterilization as directed by law and established policies and procedures.
- Build Customer Relationships
- Nail Technicians work to ensure their guests are satisfied, so that they will become repeat customers. They work to build a relationship with customers and guide them toward other services or products they offer.
- Current state manicurist or cosmetology license
Basic computer skills
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Basic math skills with ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
Ability to work a flexible schedule
Up-to-date knowledge of cosmetology trends and skills
Previous salon experience
Customer service, hospitality or retail sales experience
Comfortable with product recommendation
We searched the Web to find the best industry resources to help you continue exploring a career as a Nail Technician. From thought leaders to industry groups, this list is packed with opportunities to learn, connect and engage.
- Confessions of a Nail Tech – Follow along with the daily life of a professional Nail Technician.
- NAILS Magazine – Stay current on industry news and trends.
- Nail Splash – Get tips and hints to improve your nail skills.
- On LinkedIn
- Cosmetics and Beauty Network – Network with almost 10,000 cosmetic professionals, including Nail Technicians.
- Nail Technician Books
- The Complete Nail Technician (Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority) – Everything you need to know about professionally caring for nails.
- Nail Technician Exam Secrets Study Guide: NT Test Review for the Nail Technician Exam –Prepare for the Nail Technician Exam with this helpful guide, including practice questions.
- At Your Fingertips – The Nail Technician’s Companion – With tons of gorgeous photographs, this is an in-depth guide to nail procedures with good background information.
Avg. Hourly Rate
Average additional compensation for this job:
A Nail Technician earns an average wage of £7.80 per hour. People in this job generally don't have more than 20 years' experience. Pay for this job does not change much by experience, with the most experienced earning only a bit more than the least.
- £5 £7 £7 £8 £10
10% 25% 50% 75% 90%
Show Annual Salary
Hourly Data £0£10
Hourly Rate £5.75 - £10.11
Hourly Tips £0.00 - £1.25
Annual Data £0£26K
Total Pay (?) £10,691 - £26,702
Country: United States Currency: GBP Updated: 4 Aug 2018Individuals Reporting: 54
Is Nail Technician your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
- Hornsey, Haringey
Years in Field/Career:
- United Kingdom (change)
- Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.